Friday, July 1, 2011

It was only a matter of time.... ;)

I have a new fur baby.  Yesterday my youngest and I headed out on a road trip about 3 hours North.  I have been looking for an angora breed for a few weeks, but every time I think I have found one, they are all sold out.  Yesterday morning I stumbled across an add for a French Angora.  When I contacted the breeder, she informed me they were gone :(  But she told me she had 3 Giant Angora's that she was selling for a friend who had to move.  She sent me pictures, and I did some research- found out they are perfect for spinners, next I decided I need to see how BIG these GIANTS would get- so we went on a trip.  Now mind you, my husband could not believe I was willing to drive 3 hours one way to go see a bunny (sometimes men just don't get it....)

Anywho....of course one of the females came home with us.  Oh lordy she is going to be a BIG spoiled baby!  Even Morgan our shepard mix is in love with her.  She actually wanted to stay out next to the hutch all night.  Crazy dog!

Now we just need to name her....always the hardest part for me!



17 comments:

  1. How completely adorable, I am amazed that only one came home with you! Can't wait to hear what you name her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww she is adorable hopefully she wont go too hormonal on you as female bunnies undesexed are known to do that, I keep three bunnies, one is an angora cross. They are a lot of fun though I wish you luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly--I think I'm in love!! Too bad my cats have first dibs on the house! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm... the name Maggie seems to stick in my head for that little fluffy ball.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Little Bunny Foo Foo! Congrats! I have three Angoras (mixes) and have enjoyed adding their fiber to my Alpaca batts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She looks so soft and fluffy. So how much fiber do you get off a bunny?

    ReplyDelete
  7. She's so cute, so soft, so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. She is beautiful! Such a big fluff ball. Rabbits always seem very inquisitive creatures, I love the constant nose twitching!

    Can't wait to see what the fibre is like.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone!! She got a summer cut today and looks so silly. Her ears look huge :) I have a brown lunch sack full to the brim with her first haircut...lol We will only cut her in the summer.....the rest of the time she will be brushed for her fiber.

    We had 1 female and 2 males about 10 years ago...I would much rather deal with a female than a male bunny any day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. it looks like my granddaughters fluffy:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, she is so sweet! Do you harvest her fur by just brushing her? You are one busy woman these days! Well done...xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Eventually I will brush to harvest her. Right now we sheared her for the hot summer here in Florida. She will partial molt, but still needs to be plucked and sheared. She is only 2 months now and has lots of growing left to do.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Kelly, she is adorable! And getting her ear pom-poms already - so cute.

    Wonder how big she will get..? My friend had a Flemish Giant & he was humungous (a lovely friendly bunny, he used to stand on his back legs and put his chin on the table to see what was going on.. and hop along behind her if she went to visit neighbours :)

    You can always get her neutered if she starts getting too hormonal, Ive heard that really helps..
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Deborah-
    They breeder thought about 10 lbs. or so....she was the smaller female. I am ridiculous with her, I just love giving her smooshy face kisses. She is already bigger than a fuzzy lop that I had many years ago and she is only 2 months old. She already pushes up under my hand when she wants scratches.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Melissa- The breeder did say "Are you sure you only want one?" I quickly answered yes...lol My DH is patient with me but that just might have pushed him over the edge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fiberdance- I'm not sure. I guess it will depend on how large she ends up getting.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!