Saturday, April 9, 2011

My favorite kind of washing!

Today started early for me.  I'm an earlybird and love the quiet time I have in the morning while the rest of the family is sleeping- I seem to get tons done and don't feel too guilty for taking some me time.
 I decided to start washing some of the Alpaca fleece that I purchased when I went to the last Fiber Arts meeting.  I have sorted most of it and decided I want to try spinning some.....it still needed to be washed, so that's what I spent my morning doing.  When Alpaca is dry it has virtually no smell, but peeeewww, it had a VERY different smell when it was wet.  Now that it's dry, the smell has gone away, but it was kinda stinky! :)

I have about the same amount left to wash as I did wash today....but I think I have enough cleaned to get started.  Now to decide if I am going to mix it with some Merino or just spin it on its own.  Any suggestions out there?  I've decided not to dye this batch....maybe the next batch.

6 comments:

  1. Both the llama & alpaca that I have worked with are easily spun without washing first - they don't have a lanolin or grease as sheep do & usually dust is the biggest problem. I love to just spin as is & wash the finished yarn well. It does look like you have a pretty assortment of natural colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooh, to blend or not to blend, that is the question. The colors are lovely. I guess you should decide what your end product will be. The 100% Alpaca will make a product with more drape. The wool added will give a bit more structure and lighten the yarn (Alpaca tends to be more dense)

    tehehehe, we Alpaca breeders laugh at our wet barn smell after a good rain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came home with a pound of each of the 4 colors! They were really dusty, so I wanted to wash them before I did anything with them. I will be going back on Saturday, and they will be shearing Thursday...so I am sure I will get more. Lordy I better get busy.....all of this wonderful fiber is bringing out some hoarding tendencies in me!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just to say thanks so much for your message about Archie - we're all still in shock right now and so sad, but it helps to know people care.xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kelly--What pretty colors! Do you have a knitted project in mind? (It might help you decide whether to leave it 'as is', or not.)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!