Sunday, April 17, 2011

Hi I'm Kelly and I spin rope......:)

I am not going to give up!  Yesterday I went to a guild meeting and picked all of the wonderful spinners heads.  These ladies are spinning beautiful yarn!  We had a demonstration on Navajo Plying, it was really neat watching it!  All I do know is that if I decided to Navajo ply any of the "yarn" that I have made so far, it would then become rope.........I did get some questions answered about the settings for my wheel and now understand that I have had the brake set incorrectly, which has caused me to continue to over spin.  I also learned that I need to pre draft even more than I had been.  So today I am going to sit down and try to put into practice what I learned yesterday.  I did promise to bring my wheel to the next meeting ( so that alone will force me to practice so I don't embarrass myself)!  I also met a wonderful spinner and knitter who lives about 15 minutes from me!  She has offered to help me!  So all in all, yesterday was an awesome day for meeting new friends, and learning new things.
Also, Kimberly, of Woodland Hills Alpacas, sent me home with the prettiest rose gray alpaca fleece.  It is amazing and I cannot wait to clean it up and make something!  The Alpacas looked so silly with their pom-pom heads after their shearing and the stories about how they didn't recognize each other were so funny!

Here is a new bag I made yesterday, using these curly cotswold locks!  I'm trying to use all of this blue that I dyed up.....

5 comments:

  1. Guilds are just GREAT aren't they? I am new to spinning and make great yarn on my spindle which is both overspun and lumpy, but hey! No-one at my Guild is critical, the wealth of knowledge is breathtaking and everyone is wonderfully supportive! If your Guild is like mine they are fabulous cooks too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes! Great food too!
    They are very supportive and offer help if you ask for it. I like some of my fat yarn, but it makes it harder to work with since I do not know how to knit, only crochet. So thinner yarn is easier to use with crochet....for me at least. Knitting is on my list of things to figure out this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. compliments for your lovely sunny bag! enjoy the stuff you learned and i hope the practisation goes well:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really makes a difference if they can see you spin. One of my Saturday Market regulars kept complaining about her skills so I had her bring her wheel along & sit next to me. She was trying to spin right at the orifice which meant she was tense & often just fishing out her yarn that spun away from her. I had her put a long leader on her bobbin & spin right at her lap - totally changed her style, attitude & anxiety. But I would not have known that was her problem without just seeing her spin "normally".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kelly,

    I am so happy that you found a New Friend that lives only 15 minutes from you. That is great. Guilds are the best. I am sure you will learn lots of things with those ladies and have lots of fun too.
    Love the bag and the curly wool. When I look at it , it reminds me of a purse sitting in snow! LOL
    Hugs and keep having fun.
    Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!