Friday, December 17, 2010

Felt covered buttons and typical ramblings....

Today I finished up a birthday present for my sister that I started this weekend.  I started off with my very own self dyed merino.  I carded up a batt that used 4 different colors but I kept same colors together and let them migrate into each other just a tiny bit.  I felted it as a thin panel, and then machine sewed it together.  After I finished that, I did a simple blanket stitch on the outside to give it a little something. And then moved on to finding the perfect button....I could not in all of the 100's of buttons that I have find one that I felt worked well....so.....I covered a button blank with a piece of felt that was a remnant of the pouch and Viola, a matching button.

Now I am sitting here wondering what took me so long to figure out that I could have been making these buttons for my pouches all along!!  Sometimes I'm a little slow I guess....or maybe it's this freezing weather we are having here in Florida- my brain is slushy- I'm not used to wind chills anymore....

So anyway.....here it is...I hope she likes it!

10 comments:

  1. I love the gradient colors and glad the button idea worked for you . I've been needle felting my buttons lately which saves me the cost of the shank blanks but results in some blood lose....(I'm not to good needle felting small things :)

    Are you planning on selling your batts some day ? Would be nice to buy batts that are made for felters rather then spinners since you know what felts well and I think most sellers consider colors based on what spins well ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly--This is a fantastic gift!!
    I LOVE the button idea too!!!
    Can you tell us more about the button blanks that you used? I'm always confused in the fabric store fastener section, 'cause it seems to have so many different products which require special fastening tools, etc...and I don't know where to begin! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your colors as well as the buttons. And a note to krex: I needlefelt with classes of children as young as 4 years old. We prevent bloodshed by using our best friend, Mr. Popsicle Stick. He holds everything for us & if he does accidentally get poked he doesn't need a bandaid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. krex-You are brave needle felting buttons! I'm not so good at needle felting little things, and if I can bribe my daughter she will do a few...so I figured I better figure something out that works for me. One day I want to sell batts and pouches....working on my confidence for that.... :)

    Heather- At first I bought the all in one set that included 4 buttons and the button tool. It's called a cover button set. Here is a link http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?pageName=search&flag=true&PRODID=xprd357330

    I found a really good source once I decided the size I wanted here it is: coverbuttons.com - they take paypal, I ordered them Saturday and they were in my mailbox today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea of presents. Your sister must love it. The color is mixed so well, My favourite color purple-blue. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is lovely, I always love the merging of colours. I've just ordered myself a natural dyeing kit finally for my Christmas present to myself, so I hope to be able to find some time to try it out. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. it must be gratto be your sister!
    love, riet:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! What a great gift. I like how the colors gently merged. See, now I want to felt something.

    Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your colors are beautiful. Hope your weather warms up...I have no hope for ours until about the end of March, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kelly--Thanks so much for the info!! I just placed an order at coverbuttons, too...can't wait to try them!
    XXO--

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!