Wednesday, May 4, 2011

My two loves merge...

Some of you may know that I am a teacher.  I have taught 2nd-5th grade.  This year I have been teaching 2nd grade, and I love it!  They are like little sponges that soak up learning. So,  I decided to teach my students how to make felt.

They decided that they wanted to make a felt bloom for their moms for Mother's Day.  So I made some mixed batts in pinks and yellows, gathered enough bubble wrap, tulle, and string, and lugged it into school.

I decided to work with small groups, I think it would have been chaos doing it with my entire class all at once...lol

They did a fabulous job and I was impressed with the nice fulled pieces they ended up with.....they loved all of the rolling.  As they worked, they would laugh at the bubbles that came out of the ends of their "felt burritos".  When they rolled they chatted with each other and it was nice as a teacher to be able to step back a bit from the academics and see my kiddos as learners in a different light! 

The pictures are pretty bad, all I had was my phone...Still, what a fun time we had!  Now I get to sew them to pin backs and we get to wrap them on Friday......I hope all the mommies are happy with their truly handmade gifts from their kiddos!

7 comments:

  1. Kelly--What a fun project! I'm sure their Moms will be thrilled!!
    Now that you've wet your feet, is a larger felt project in the works for next school year? Rug?
    Wall decor? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely LOVE doing fiber arts with children. I'd taught weaving to some 5th graders in a Title One school nearby. I gave them their cardboard looms at the end of our 6 weeks together. Yesterday I was back at the school & one of the girls pulled the loom out of her backpack to show me that she had finished a 2nd project & had been saving it so I could help her tie it off. I was so touched I could have sat down & cried. There is just something so special about hand work. So glad you could share it with your students!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your project, i'm not a teacher, but i would like to do something like that:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun to teach kids. Their mums must be pleased to have the blooms they made. They may wondering how it's made.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea! When I have children in that age group come for farm visits we do really simple felting projects so they can take home a wee bit of Alpaca and they walk away like they have won the biggest prize because THEY MADE IT so I know their mothers will love the project you helped them with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like great fun! I'm sure the mums will be very happy. You never know it might encourage some mums to start felting too! Can we have some finished pics please?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have given these kids a leaning experience that they will enver forget. Working with Fiber and kids is the best!!! these are going to be a big hit and will probably ahve to become a tradition!!!! What lucky kids to ahve you for their teacher!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!