Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Shibori felting..


I have been wanting to try various wet felting techniques.  After some reading, I tried my hand at what I have read is called shibori felting.  I had a stash of wool that I was not too crazy about, so I figured if I messed it up, I would not be too heart broken ( strange I know to be heart broken about wool, but I seem to fall in deep like with some of my purchases..lol)  So here is my attempt. Interesting result....a mutated butterfly maybe. I have some new ideas floating around in my head now that I see how easy it was to manipulate the wool.  Off to play some more....

5 comments:

  1. its great to experiment like this - hope you continue with more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this in a recent magazine and thought it looked fascinating, must give it a go one day. I was thinking moth looking at yours rather than butterfly because of the more muted colours! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right, the colors do make it look like a moth!!
    I want to try it with silk fabric and a light merino top. I think it would be interesting to then dye it after felting, before taking the marbles out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I like this guy/gal! I can just about feel him/her. I think this was a successful experiment for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely looks like a moth. Maybe it would look good felted onto a scarf?

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!