Wednesday, June 22, 2011

My First Corespun

I decided to take some time yesterday to play with some new techniques I have been practicing on my wheel. So far my favorite is core spinning. I REALLY want to try weaving with some of this yarn. I used some domestic wool that I dyed in pink, turquoise, and a soft almost mint green. I made a fluffy batt and threw in some angelina and crystal metallic fibers. At first I was freaked out at how over spun my core was becoming but I kept plugging away. After I filled my bobbin, I decided to ply it with a hot pink. I LOVE it!! And what makes it so fabulous is it is almost perfectly balanced.......only a slight 1/2 twist at the bottom when I hung the skein!!!!
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

  1. Gorgeous, Kelly!! (I've just made some, too...but I'm not exactly sure I made it 'right'!! Giggle. Photos soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather- ha, I have no idea if "I did it right", but whatever, I like it! Thanks!

    Andrea- Thanks so much, I am starting to have some fun with this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Kelly - you are doing fantastically! And your yarn is GORGEOUS.
    Its a lovely feeling I think when you spin a well balanced yarn, sort of deeply satisfying..
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your core spun looks pretty! Fun, fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your yarns are beautiful. I love the color combination. Always turquise is my favourite color. I can see how you'd addict to new skills. Me too love to try new learned. Keep my eye peeled for your works.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Kelly, so pretty! I am on the lookout for a good used spinning wheel. I am dyeing my own yarns, but I want to start spinning them also. Well done, you!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!