Saturday, January 15, 2011

doin' the happy dance..

So today I drove to my favorite twice a year antique fair in Mt. Dora, Florida.  I was as always finding treasure after treasure.  We were on our way to our car when I caught something out of the corner of my eye.  Sitting half hidden on an old bench was a HUGE rug...but not just any old rug....it looked like it had been wet felted and then embroidered.  I checked it over and saw only a few small areas where some of the embroidery on the border had come apart, but the rug as a whole was VERY clean and in great shape.  It didn't have a price and I almost walked away thinking it would probably be WAY out of my price range.  I patiently waited for the man who owned the rug to finish with another customer and I asked him what the price was.......and here comes the best part....the part that made me almost sing.......it was only $20.00!!!  Yeah me!!  I love a deal!

10 comments:

  1. wow you lucky thing, how old do you think it is? looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly,
    Wow you really lucked out on that find! I can't believe it was that CHEAP! It has so much work on it. Just lovely and I am happy that you waited for the man to finish with the other customer. Enjoy!
    I love Mount Dora but haven't been there in years. Must check it out again soon.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! My grandparents had a winter place in Tavares when I was little & I recall going to Mt. Dora sometimes. My grandmother collected antiques (even before that was the thing to do) so I am sure some of her treasures came from that area as well. But this is a fabulous find!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, Kelly---It looks amazing!! (You should post photos of it 'in situ' when you figure out which room it 'belongs' in!!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow kelly, this is a bargain! it's absolutely great. love, riet:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that's one of the special moment bargains that will feed you for weeks! It looks fab. I'm sure you wanted to run and put it in your car and drive away quick before the seller came to his senses!! I hope you have the perfect spot for it....xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks all....yesterday I gave it a good cleaning and let it dry in the fresh air. I think I might sew loops on the back and use it as a wall hanging for my bedroom. I have a VERY old dog who seems to be drawn to my rugs....and not in a good way. So we are rugless at the moment.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooo, nice find, it's good that it came to a home where it will be treasured and appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, what a bargain! It looks wonderful and will certainly be perfect as a wall hanging too!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!