Friday, June 15, 2012

New weave and other ramblings.....

DSCN3794 (800x600) by Felting Sunshine

I recently purchased a smaller tri-loom to work on some projects (it is much easier to use up the smaller skeins of hand spun). I am currently working on a weave that I am making from a Romney fleece that I purchased at SAFF last October. I spun up a bunch letting curls and tufts of crimp escape the twist so that it is a fluffy and highly textured yarn. I plyed it with some fuzzy mohair to add to the texture. I will weave two of these and sew them together to create a slouch bag. I am hoping to enlist the help of my mom in creating a material lining with some pockets.



In between the rain and bottle feeding the baby goats, I have been washing fleeces. When we purchased this home, they left a brand new top loading washer, I have seen so many people wash fleeces using these but have never been able to since my own washer is a front loading machine. My wonderful husband hooked it up for me and I have been able to wash wool every single day. I might just start making a dent in those 20+ fleeces I have......

On the animal front, all of the critters are doing great. Chessie, our doeling angora, is loosing her kemp fibers and the mohair that is coming in is dreamy soft! I cannot wait for her first shearing!!!! I am on the hunt for another girl with white fiber. The farm I got her from just recently had a buck born, but my husband and I have agreed we don't want an intact male. If he was white, I would snatch him up in a heart beat and make a wether out of him. I will be patient...... :)

4 comments:

  1. oooh, that weaving looks amazing! I've been thinking about making a scarf using that technique.

    There are a few tutorials on Ravelry in the Rigid Heddle Group which explain how to take one strip of weaving and make a purse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelly,
    I am so happy you are doing well and getting settled into your new environment.
    Your weaving is lovely.
    Keep well and hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kelly, noted you've moved and settled down. Must be a stunning area. Wow, with alpaca they look so sweets. I love wool, particular raw fleece so much after learnt the skills of making rug from Nicola in Portugal. Your weaving is great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrea, the tri loom is so fun to weave on.

    Norma, thank you so much, yes we are slowly getting settled and hoping for a weekend that we can be lazy! Moving is so much work!

    Terrie, I saw pictures from your workshop. It looks like it was a fun time.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!