Friday, June 15, 2012

New weave and other ramblings.....

DSCN3794 (800x600) by Felting Sunshine

I recently purchased a smaller tri-loom to work on some projects (it is much easier to use up the smaller skeins of hand spun). I am currently working on a weave that I am making from a Romney fleece that I purchased at SAFF last October. I spun up a bunch letting curls and tufts of crimp escape the twist so that it is a fluffy and highly textured yarn. I plyed it with some fuzzy mohair to add to the texture. I will weave two of these and sew them together to create a slouch bag. I am hoping to enlist the help of my mom in creating a material lining with some pockets.



In between the rain and bottle feeding the baby goats, I have been washing fleeces. When we purchased this home, they left a brand new top loading washer, I have seen so many people wash fleeces using these but have never been able to since my own washer is a front loading machine. My wonderful husband hooked it up for me and I have been able to wash wool every single day. I might just start making a dent in those 20+ fleeces I have......

On the animal front, all of the critters are doing great. Chessie, our doeling angora, is loosing her kemp fibers and the mohair that is coming in is dreamy soft! I cannot wait for her first shearing!!!! I am on the hunt for another girl with white fiber. The farm I got her from just recently had a buck born, but my husband and I have agreed we don't want an intact male. If he was white, I would snatch him up in a heart beat and make a wether out of him. I will be patient...... :)