Monday, February 21, 2011

dot to dot

I finally had a chance to do something with some of the royal blue wool that I dyed a few weeks know...the one that made my hands look sort of "smurf like".....  I cut out circles of prefelt using a scrapbook diecut machine that I have from my stamping and scrapbook days-what an awesome time saver-the felt cut like butter, and I have tons of dies in tons of shapes to play with.
They sort of look like eggs after felting...but hey I'm going with it.  I do see that if I use such a dark bottom layer, that my prefelt pieces might need to be a bit thicker..the blue did seem to migrate more than I anticipated.  I now have approx. a 16 x 16 inch square that I can sew into something fun!

Saturday, February 19, 2011

I'm here

It has been a few crazy weeks with work since I posted last.  I have started making batts with the wool that I dyed in the previous post.  The first batt I made was made from my leftover pieces of wool.  It's a hodge podge mix of different types of wool that I ended up tossing into the emerald green dye pot.  The colors that resulted are exactly what I envisioned!  This batt is approx. 3 oz.  I will be working on the rest of the green today, and then need to finish cutting some prefelts for a "spring" project I am working on.  More later...thanks for reading!

Friday, February 4, 2011

I feel like a Smurf!

I just finished dyeing a few pounds of wool.  While I was immersing the wool into the royal blue dye, I accidentally pushed the edge of my glove into the dye and yes, as you have probably guessed, I filled my glove up with blue dye!  But the results were worth it-the colors are yummy!  I also dyed some green tonight- about 1 lb.  I had a bag of scraps and bits of roving that I had been using for flowers and small objects.  I decided to throw the whole lot ( approx. 6 oz.) into the green dye too.  I love the result of the variegated greens I ended up with.  Even the hot pink over dyed into a pretty mossy green!  I needed a variety of greens for a panel I am working on and this gave me a huge variety of shades to work with......not too bad for scraps! Too late to dry tonight so I will post those pictures tomorrow.