Saturday, March 9, 2013

Weaving with Hand Spun

I recently completed a peg loom weaving.  I bought this loom so that I could make rugs with the seconds from my alpaca fiber and from coarser wool fleeces that I have purchased over the past few years.  The weaving I completed in these pictures is not for a rug, but for a wall hanging in my workshop.

In the picture above, I am using a wool yarn for the warp of the loom.  Since this part is not seen, you could use any color.  For my future rugs, I will be using a thick cotton warp or a nice rugged hemp.  


In this picture I am starting the first part of the weave.  I was amazed at how quickly this part goes.  Luckily I had a basket of hand spun that I could grab from.  The entire piece was woven from my chunky yarn and because I was weaving around the pegs, I could use super chunky yarn without worrying about the thickness. 

Look at all of lumps and bumps!  What I love most about weaving with this loom is that I do not lose the texture of my yarn!  I cannot describe how squishy, yet solidly secure this piece is!  Okay, that was 3 exclamatory statements in a row.......that should show you how much I love how this turned out.  :)


The final piece is a bit over 24" wide and 30" long.  


Thanks for stopping by!  Have a fabulous weekend.
Kelly

5 comments:

  1. Oh Kelly.. I don't blame you loving how this turned out.. it is GORGEOUS! I LOVE all the textures and the colours you have chosen, what a wonderful addition to your studio wall.

    I have a peg loom.. but no chunky yarns or scrappy fleeces left. Still it's sitting there waiting till the right stuff comes along. My daughter made a rug from old bed sheets torn into strips a few years ago, that worked well from a utilitarian, if not so much from an aesthetic, point of view.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a peg loom that I haven't used in ages, am quite inspired, your yarn is just beautiful.
    thanks for sharing
    martine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deborah, I have also seen where people use actual roving to weave with. I will need to try it with old sheets, I have tons of them stripped out that I was going to crochet. This would be much quicker!

    Martine,
    I love how quickly you can make something on it. I made a scarf yesterday and it took 45 minutes tops!

    Thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really beautiful. I used to weave on sticks, but this is much easier. I have to try. Thanks for your comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love how the colours work Kelly and the texture ! - I can imagine it as a an amazing bag with leather or timber handles as well!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!